- Conference on Human Rights and Tort Law, December 1, 2009
- Conference on the topic of ‘Aims of Tort Law’, 16-17 October 2015, Vienna
- Conference on Compulsory Liability Insurance in European Legal Systems
- Directors' and Officers' (D&O) Liability, 28 March 2017, Vienna
- European Group on Tort Law Meeting
- Medical Malpractice in Global Context Conference, December 3-4, 2010
- Symposium: Journalistic Privilege 20 March 4:30pm
- World Tort Law Society's Conference on the topic of Product Liability, 17 September 2015, Vienna
- 9th Annual Conference on European Tort Law 8-10 April 2010
- Symposium: Presserat – quo vadis? March 31, 2011, 4:30 pm
- Media Governance between Law and Self-Regulation, 5. November, 2009, 16.30
- Symposium: WikiLeaks – New Rules for New Forms of Communication?, October 6, 2011
Directors' and Officers' (D&O) Liability, 28 March 2017, Vienna
The European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law (ECTIL) and the Institute for European Tort Law of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Graz (ETL) held a conference on Directors' and Officers' (D&O) Liability, as part of a study funded by the B&C Privatstiftung. The conference took place in Vienna on Tuesday, March 28, 2017.
In recent years several cases concerning the liability of directors and officers have courted controversy. Arguments raised in such discussions oscillate between two extremes: on the one hand, the need for governing bodies to give a space to entrepreneurial discretion and on the other hand to ensure the protection of investors in and creditors of a company from the consequences of disadvantageous decisions by those bodies.
The conference presented the results of an extensive comparative study on Directors' and Officers' Liability that was funded under the generous auspices of the B&C Privatstiftung and conducted by the European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law (ECTIL) and the Institute for European Tort Law of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Graz (ETL). In addition to country reports from six legal systems, special reports on the Economic Analysis of Law, Insurance and Private International Law perspective were also delivered, with ample opportunity reserved for discussion. A comparative report completed the programme.
The detailed programme can be found here [PDF].
D&O Liability in the Following Legal Systems:
Austria, M Karollus
Germany, G Wagner
Switzerland, F Krauskopf
United Kingdom, D Cabrelli
United States of America, J Kirshner
Israel, I Gilead
Special Reports & Comparative Report:
Download Conference Materials
D&O Liability from an Insurer's Perspective, I Ebert
D&O Liability from a Law and Economics Perspective,
D&O Liability from a Private International Law Perspective, K Luwichowska-Redo
Comparative Report I, S Deakin
Comparative Report II, O Riss
Pictures of the conference will be available online soon.